Re: gcc compile-time performance

> Actually, make check takes most of the time but building the java
> libraries is by far the longest part of the bootstrap (something like
> a few hours).  The fact that you aren't enabling all the languages
> is probably why you don't think the bootstrap and testing takes very
> long.

This is mixing concerns. I am not talking about the length of the bootstrap
in absolute terms here, but specifically of comparing the Solaris and
Redhat Linux builds. My comparison is of apples vs apples for sure, since
we are building the same on both platforms, and as I said, the ratio in
performance seems reasonable. So it is a bit odd that this perceived
unexpected slowness of Solaris is language specific when it comes to builds.
Worth investigating.