This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: gcc compile-time performance
- From: dewar at gnat dot com (Robert Dewar)
- To: dewar at gnat dot com, gdr at codesourcery dot com, mark at codesourcery dot com
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, scott at coyotegulch dot com
- Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 13:18:50 -0400 (EDT)
- Subject: Re: gcc compile-time performance
> In order to support those uses, and to be competitive with other
> compilers, we do need to improve the speed of the compiler. I've heard
> this from too many real world customers with spending authority to
> believe any different.
The question is can you find ways to make substantial increases in speed.
I still don't see it being worthwhile to flail away looking at profiles and
tingering with conditionals. You are only going to get 10-30% that way
and it is not going to be enough to be significant.