Re: gcc compile-time performance

dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) writes:

| >From my concrete everyday life experience, it does matter.
|
| OK, well I have been teaching for 30 years, and from that experience I
| disagree.

Obviously, we're not teaching in the same environment and the same
thing.  You may disagree, but that doesn't change anything about the
*facts*.

| Teaching the principles of software engineering (remember you
| said this was an SE course) does not require worrying about bells and
| whistles in the latest version of software).

Students needs to get hands on materials, experiment with them, and
time does matter.  As a C++ teacher, I have to teach them how to use
the STL, how to wirte template codes.  I can't use old compiler for
that.

Please get real.

-- Gaby