Re: DECL_SIZE issues (was: PR 6212)

    > I saw the claim, but not the explanation of why.

    At minimum, PRs 2511, 3325, 3326, 3347, 5593.

    At the heart of all, we mis-promote bit-fields.

This is a different issue and is talking about the case where DECL_SIZE
is *smaller* than TYPE_PRECISION for integral types.  I agree that's wrong,
but that's not the cases I'm talking about.

First of all, the most common cases I'm referering to are where the type is
a record or array type.  Secondly, I'm talking about cases where DECL_SIZE
would be *larger* than the useful data in the type (not necessarily larger
than TYPE_SIZE if the type was a record tye that was padded by alignment
or an integral type with TYPE_PRECISION less than TYPE_SIZE).

I still haven't heard an explanation of why we shouldn't pad the object in
question simply by making DECL_SIZE different from TYPE_SIZE.