Ok to make a temporary branch for cygwin/mingw?

I am trying to coordinate patches from a few people to improve
gcc for cygwin/mingw.

Is it acceptable to make a branch for this purpose?  It sure would
be preferable to the patch-heck we're going through now.

The patches will eventually be submitted for the trunk but it would
be easier to coordinate testing if we could all work from a common
branch.

cgf