Re: gcc compile-time performance

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 05:04:26PM -0700, Dara Hazeghi wrote:
> with CFLAGS=-O0
> compiler		buildtime
> gcc 2.7.2.3	0m34.060s
> gcc 2.8.1		0m36.720s
> gcc 2.90.29	0m37.270s
> gcc 2.91.66	0m38.380s
> gcc 2.95.3	0m43.710s
> gcc 3.0.4		0m51.370s
> gcc 3.1 (pre)	0m59.630s

It's also interesting to note how the compiler tree keeps taking
longer to compile.

I can't imagine recent gcc's compiling in under a minute on that kind
of hardware.

However, I do feel that generated code quality is an order of
magnitude more important than the time required to produce it, which
is in turn an order of magnitude more important than the time it takes
to build the compiler itself.

Then again, if I hacked on gcc and needed to recompile often I might
feel differently ;)