Re: G95 Floating point arithmetics without GMP?

In message <1020888612.759.77.camel@steven>, Steven Bosscher writes:
 > Op wo 08-05-2002, om 21:15 schreef Zack Weinberg:
 > > On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 08:46:52PM +0200, Steven Bosscher wrote:
 > > >
 > > > For example, g95 can simplify exponentiation expressions (A**B) but
 > > > since C doesn't have that operator, REAL_ARITHMETICS doesn't allow me to
 > > > use eldexp() in real.c (there's no POWER_EXPR tree code).
 > >
 > > You should add one.
 > >
 > > In general, do not hesitate to add tree codes to tree.def when they
 > > can reasonably express a language-independent concept.  POWER_EXPR is
 > > one such.
 >
 > I defined it in f95-tree.def because I thought it shouldn't be in
 > tree.def.
It's a generic enough concept that it probably should migrate into
the toplevel tree.def.

 > I think that right now GCC can generate code for all tree codes defined
 > in tree.def (right?).
Not always.  It's dependent on the processor; if we don't have an instruction
for the operation and we can't open-code it using other primitives, then
we call out to a library.

jeff