Re: Installation of GCC

>Dear Sir
>
>Please I have downloaded the full version GCC-3.0.4
>from one of your ftp sites. I have also unpacked it to
>its directory. My problem now is installation. Please
>I would like you to give me the commands for
>installation right from Configuration to final
>installation because I have tried the steps given in
>the accompanying installation manual but it didn't
>work. I am using Windows 98. Please Sir I need your
>assistance.
>
>Looking forward to hearing from you.
>
>Ogwuagwu O. Vincent.

Your problem is that you are using Windows 98 which does not come with
either
the POSIX compatible shell capable of configuring GCC nor an initial C
compiler
required to build GCC.

Luckily, someone has already done most of the work for you.  Go to either
http://www.cygwin.com which supplies a Posix glue layer, the Bash shell and
binaries for many Unix-like tools including GCC 2.95.3 or to
http://www.mingw.org which just is a copy of GCC 2.95.3 and its required
binutils (assembler, linker, etc.) that runs under command.com/cmd.exe.

FWIW, GCC Version 3.1 will be released shortly and soon after its release
GCC
will be available for both systems mentioned.

Your second problem is running Windows 98.  You will soon discover that GCC
in
either its Cygwin or Mingw flavors severely taxes the DOS-based clever
hacks of
an operating system known as Windows 95, 98 and Me to the point of
unuseability.
The compilers work far better under Windows NT, 2000, or XP and I would
suggest
that you upgrade to one of them.