Re: Fixing libstdc++/3628 (was: Re: GCC 3.1 Release)

--On Thursday, April 11, 2002 12:48:45 AM +0200 Paolo Carlini
<pcarlini@unitus.it> wrote:

> Phil Edwards wrote:
>
>> How about 20_util/rel_ops.cc ?
>>
> [...]
>
>> By the way, the changelog entry only gets sent to GNATS if the line reads
>>
>>    PR libstdc++/3628
>>
>> i.e., with the leading "PR " text.  I just noticed that none of
>> Benjamin's recent fixes have that text either.  Oh well.  :-)  No easy
>> way to make it work retroactively.

Gaby, I understand your objection here, I think.  You're saying that since
we're creating these new operators in namespace std, saying:

  "using std::operator=="

will pull in more things that it should.  Can a conforming program
detect that difference?

I agree that putting __normal_iterator and friends into a separate
namespace would be a cleaner solution.  It sounds pretty invasive,
though.  Do you think it's practical to do that quickly?

If not, I'd suggest we go with Joe/Paolo's patch, and then file a PR
about the "using std::operator==" issue.  I think that would probably
be a step forward.  Remember that sometimes we can't do everything
we'd like to, but we still want to make progress...

What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks,