Re: libgcc questions

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 11:27:41AM -0800, maxwell@101freeway.com wrote:
> I wasn't clear as to what the best way of ensuring that the
> user has a compatible version of the library installed.

How about assuming that the user is using a distribution with a
proper package management tool (most of them do) and using the
dependencies of the package tool to require a proper version of
libgcc_s?

For instance, from Red Hat 7.2,

$ rpm -q --provides -p libgcc-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
libgcc_s.so.1
libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.0)
libgcc_s.so.1(GLIBC_2.0)
libgcc = 3.0.1-3

Poking at Debian's web site reveals that they have a libgcc1 package
as well.  I'm sure there's similar library versioning happening, but
don't know how to poke at it.

As for supporting systems that either (1) don't have proper package
management (e.g. slackware) or (2) don't have gcc3 packages (e.g. rh6)
...  well, I suppose all you can do is drop libgcc_s.so.1 in the mozilla
lib directory and hope for the best.

r~