Re: GNATS web interface unusable

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 09:06:44PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Phil Edwards wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 05:57:42PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> > > what the equivalent of "suspended" should be,
> >
> > I don't there there is a single equivalent for this.  Not all "suspended"s
> > are created equal.
>
> The generic Bugzilla equivalents are LATER and REMIND.  The problem with
> those is that they are resolutions that make a bug count as closed, and so
> not show up on default searches.  Since suspended bugs are genuine bugs
> that haven't been fixed, this is bad - they should show up on default
> searches for open bugs, and count as open.

I think I agree.  Well, perhaps we'll modify bugzilla source to do this.

> They get suspended because it's recognised that they should be fixed, but
> there's a reason to believe that they aren't going to be fixed in the
> short or medium term.

I know what "suspended" means in the general sense; I'm asking for a list
of day-to-day, in-actual-practice examples:  blocked by another bug, needs
a missing feature, waiting for a political FSF decision, whatever.  My guess
is that each of those will, in practice, have different Bugzilla equivalents.

> though with Bugzilla
> it would make sense to start assigning bug numbers to issues where
> dependencies are useful.

That's my thought.  Bugzilla has more granular settings than GNATS does,
AFAICT, and the Mozilla people are using it to track these sorts of things.

> So in general you think "suspended" bugs should simply be treated as
> ordinary open bugs ("NEW") - with additional information there somewhere
> (dependencies, keywords, ...) to indicate the type of suspended nature?

I haven't thought about it in depth.  That's certainly one way to go, and I'd
be willing to see suspended libstdc++-v3 PRs get translated in this fashion.

> > > whether we
> > > want WONTFIX, ...)?
> >
> > Yes, please.
>
> Why?  If something's a bug, it should be fixed; if it isn't, it should be
> closed as INVALID or WORKSFORME.

Think about "wishlist" category bugs.  A random example:  somebody asks
for a feature which the FSF doesn't like, or isn't really consistent with
GCC's goals.  We close it with WONTFIX.

Think about "won't fix for /this/ release" bugs.  An example is the
"stdio-synchronized ostreams like cout flush after every character" problem.
This is IIRC addressed in 3.1, but it's a WONTFIX for the 3.0 branch.

> What's your view on the multiple varieties of resolution RESOLVED /
> VERIFIED / CLOSED in Bugzilla?  Should we attempt that sort of QA, or just
> have a single CLOSED for when bugs have been fixed?

VERIFIED strikes me as "I can reproduce this bug," not "this bug is fixed."

I don't know about the other two.  How do other Bugzilla-using-projects
distinguish between them?  What does the Mozilla project do?

> What should the equivalent of "feedback" be?  Again, the state should
> count as open and show up in default searches - though if feedback isn't
> given, they'll end up closed as INVALID or WORKSFORME.

Just leave it as OPEN?  The audit trail / comments are right there.

If we want a formal state called FEEDBACK, we can add one.

Phil