Re: Something terribly wrong with gcc-3.0.4 Linux

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 10:15:02AM -0500, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> I understand that the default for cout is to sync with stdio.  I
> (naively) imagined that this meant some extra calls to the C library,
> not a trip through the kernel for every character.  This is really a
> surprising amount of extra overhead.  Is it possible to implement
> streams to avoid this?

Take a look at 3.1 sources; I thought we addressed this already, but it's
been a while since I looked at it.

> Josuttis pg. 682 unfortunately doesn't define the term
> "synchronization".

Neither does the C++ standard.  (And there was weeping and wailing and
gnashing of teeth.)  The committee has hashed out some replacement text
for the standard text (see DR 49) but the official version hasn't been
publicly published yet.

Phil