Re: Successful Compilation

mike stump <mrs@windriver.com> wrote:
> Bear in mind, if you would like, you can help contribute to the effort
> by just downloading snapshots every now and then and running your
> testsuite and emailing the results to gcc testresults mailing list.
> And if testing shows up regressions in the compiler or runtime
> library, to file bug reports promptly noting when last it worked, and
> when exactly it failed.

I'm hesitant to submit results to the testresults list for software no
one has never heard of.  In any case, I'd like the test suite to be
useful to others.  That will make it easier for anyone hacking on gcc
or any other compiler to see what's going on.  The only real problem
right now is the spurious implicit typename warnings, which seems to
be covered by PR 5507.

> > I don't know what kind of format is preferred for the test suite.  I'd
> > be happy to modify the test so that it outputs the results in a
> > suitable form.
>
> PASS: unique name of testcase
> FAIL: unique name of testcase
>
> and for the names of the testcases to be stable, and for the total
> number to remain relatively constant (monotonically increasing over
> the years of course).

I've set up a new version (1.1-patch-10) such that all 5000+ tests have
unique names.  A lot of these tests look at similar code
(e.g. replacing + with -), so the actual number of tests of the
compiler is much less.  If there is more that should be done, let me
know.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu