Re: [Ada] Bootstrapping mainline GNAT fails (with workaround androot cause: makefile bug)

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Florian Weimer wrote:

> install.texi reads:
>
> | First, we @strong{highly} recommend that GCC be built into a
> | separate directory than the sources which does @strong{not} reside
> | within the source tree.  This is how we generally build GCC; building
> | where @var{srcdir} == @var{objdir} should still work, but doesn't
> | get extensive testing; building where @var{objdir} is a subdirectory
> | of @var{srcdir} is unsupported.
>
> That's why I didn't care about the breakage in the Ada run-time
> library when OBJDIR is a subdirectory of SRCDIR.

It's been suggested in the past that we should make configuring with
objdir a subdirectory of srcdir supported, then arrange for configuring in
srcdir to create such a subdirectory and configure in there instead, so
that all support for building in srcdir can go away from the Makefiles.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk