Re: stabs at function entry point?

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 04:25:48PM -0800, Jim Ingham wrote:
> So my contention was that no one who is doing source level debugging
> ever wants to break at the beginning of the prologue.

Which is patently false.  I do.  All the time.  It's almost
impossible to avoid it when trying to debug optimized code.

> All sorts of oddities happen then (the stack is wrong, the current
> frame is wrong, etc) which from a source debugging point of view
> are hard to understand.

Yes indeed they are (though it would be greatly helped by using
dwarf2 frame unwind info and location lists).  Nevertheless, if
you've got optimized code, gdb's notion of what constitutes a
prologue is worthless anyway.  So instead of "b foo; cond x == 1234"
you have to do "b *foo; cond $a0 == 1234".

r~