Re: Installation proposal

>Testing anything but the installed compiler is a mistake, the testsuite
>should be completely separated from the build process, and running
>the test suite should take place after the install step IMHO.

If the install is overwriting /usr/bin/gcc, then it is a really good idea
to test it before installing it.  I don't recommend doing builds that way,
but some people do.

If you are building something to install in a location that you don't have
write access to, then you can still test it.  Otherwise, you need to su root
first before you can test it.

It makes the code-test-debug cycle faster, if you don't have to do an install
after writing code and before testing it.  It also saves on disk space during
the development cycle.

But yes, when you get to the point where you are making a release, it is
mandatory to test the installed compiler.  The current testsuites can be used
to test an installed compiler if there is no compiler in the build tree.

Jim