Re: a warning to implement

>>>>> "Robert" == Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> writes:

Robert> Gaby, perhaps you could be so kind as to enlighten us with the
Robert> wonderful useful meanings that people argued for

Robert>   int a = a;

Robert> perhaps we will be so impressed by the suggestions that we
Robert> will decide to implement one of them, rather than generating a
Robert> warning here. The only suggestion I saw, which was to use this
Robert> construct to turn off warnings, seemed very peculiar and ill
Robert> motivated. In other words, you could artificially make it have
Robert> this meaning, but I would find that most peculiar.

I won't answer about int, but for instance for int *,

        int *a = a;

is very helpful: it allows me to introduce distinguished pointers, in
addition to NULL.  It's used for instance in the idutils's lib/hash.c.