Re: Strange question

>>>>> Quentin Bouvart writes:

Quentin> I'd like to ask you a strange question: how many time
Quentin> did it take to how many people to make a first
Quentin> workable version of gcc?
Quentin> This is because I want (in several month) to create
Quentin> a kind of compiler with a team, and I do not really
Quentin> know how to estimate the time it'll take.

	It all depends on what you mean by "workable".  In Matt Dillon's
interview on KernelTrap, he mentioned that it took him two weeks to write
the initial version of his DICE C Compiler which could compile 'hello
world', but many months to refine it into what one would consider a
"commercial quality" compiler.  His compiler only produced 68000 code and
had nothing close to the optimizations in GCC.

	Depending on your definition of "workable", maybe a month from a
good compiler development team.  For something commercial, many months to
a few years.  That's just a guess.

David