solaris 8 x86

	I seem to be having trouble getting GCC to work on solaris 8. on 2.6 and
2.7 all i had to do was add the package from sunfreeware and mv /usr/ucb/cc
broken.cc then ln -s /usr/local/bin/gcc /usr/ucb/cc (plus adding /usr/ucb
and /usr/ccs/bin to the path) and it would work fine. for some reason this
doesn't work on solaris 8 and i'm not sure why. i checked the gcc faq but it
only mentioned things while compiling GCC which i am not. here is an example
error i get while attempting to ./configure apache.

Creating Makefile
Creating Configuration.apaci in src
Creating Makefile in src
 + configured for Solaris 280 platform
 + setting C compiler to gcc
 + setting C pre-processor to NOT-AVAILABLE
 + checking for system header files
 + adding selected modules
 + using builtin Expat
 + checking sizeof various data types
 + doing sanity check on compiler and options
** A test compilation with your Makefile configuration
** failed.  The below error output from the compilation
** test will give you an idea what is failing. Note that
** Apache requires an ANSI C Compiler, such as gcc.

cd ..; gcc  -DSOLARIS2=280 -DUSE_EXPAT -I./lib/expat-lite -DNO_DL_NEEDED
`./apac
i`     -o helpers/dummy helpers/dummy.c   -lsocket -lnsl
/usr/local/bin/ld: cannot open values-Xa.o: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [dummy] Error 1
======== Error Output for sanity check ========
============= End of Error Report =============

here's whats in my path:
/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/u
sr/ucb:/man:/usr/man:/usr/local/man:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:
the paths do work since i am able to use various programs in them without
having to type the absolute path like gcc for example.

here are the packages i have installed on a 'developer' install of solaris
on x86. sunfreeware said to install gcc after the libraries since gcc303
will overwrite some of the binutils so i did as it said.
autoconf-2.52-sol8-intel-local.gz
automake-1.5-sol8-intel-local.gz
binutils-2.11.2-sol8-intel-local.gz
bzip2-1.0.1-sol8-intel-local.gz
cpio-2.4.2-sol8-intel-local.gz
fileutils-4.0-sol8-intel-local.gz
flex-2.5.4a-sol8-intel-local.gz
gawk-3.1.0-sol8-intel-local.gz
gcc-3.0.3-sol8-intel-local.gz
glib-1.2.10-sol8-intel-local.gz
groff-1.17.2-sol8-intel-local.gz
gtk+-1.2.10-sol8-intel-local.gz
less-358-sol8-intel-local.gz
libpng-1.2.0-sol8-intel-local.gz
libtool-1.4-sol8-intel-local.gz
make-3.79.1-sol8-intel-local.gz
md5-6142000-sol8-intel-local.gz
nc-110-sol8-intel-local.gz
nmap-2.54BETA28-sol8-intel-local.gz
ntp-4.0.99mrc2-sol8-intel-local.gz
openssh-3.0.2p1-sol8-intel-local.gz
openssl-0.9.6b-sol8-intel-local.gz
prngd-0.9.23-sol8-intel-local.gz
screen-3.9.9-sol8-intel-local.gz
tcl-8.3.3-sol8-intel-local.gz
tcp_wrappers-7.6.tar.gz
top-3.5beta12-sol8-intel-local.gz

my first install didn't include m4 which i used to have to install on 2.6
but the site said it wasn't needed now.

there is an ld in /usr/local/bin and in /usr/ccs/bin. i just tried mving and
making a link to the one in ccs/bin from /usr/local/bin to see if that would
work but it doesn't seem to. i have also tried the old gcc 2.95.3 with no
avail. i have also tried it without installing bunutils like sunfreeware
suggested but this didn't work either and i am at a loss. if you could
please point me to a site or give an answer as to how to make this work i
would really appreciate it. i miss not being able to compile =/

jesse