Re: Remaining host configuration fragments

On Thu, 2002-01-17 at 15:17, DJ Delorie wrote:
> Again, I like the idea of adding a syntaxically erroneous comment to
> such files.  It keeps the history, encourages volunteerism, sets
> proper expectations, yet prevents the platform from being used while
> it is in a known unusable state.

Seems like a good plan.

The way glibc deals with this is to have the configure script abort if
you are configuring for a platform that's known not to work, either
because the support was never written or because it's become
bit-rotted.  You can configure with a special "--disable-sanity-checks"
argument if you want to try your luck by building it anyway, but this
seems quite successful at communicating to casual users that they
shouldn't expect too much.

p.