Re: [RFA] Major debugging breakage

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 05:08:20PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Ok.  We've admitted defeat on this one.  Windows 9x wins.  Sigh.
>
> So we have to turn off this feature for all Windows platforms since it
> is possible that a gcc built on Windows NT (where mmap works fine) will
> be run on Windows 98 (where it doesn't).

Isn't there a way to determine at run time which version of Windows we
are executing under?

> Does the below patch make sense?  I qualified the BROKENness of mmap
> because, as Zack suggested, it seems to work fine elsewhere and so we
> don't want to slow down gcc's garbage collection.

Assuming that we have to turn it off everywhere, (a) just re-#define
MMAP_THRESHOLD to zero, and (b) shouldn't it be in xm-cygwin.h and
xm-mingw32.h both?  This isn't a target property.

(Alternatively, put an #ifdef _WIN32 block in cppfiles.c.  It already
has plenty of #ifdeffage, more won't hurt much.)

zw