RE: HPUX11 64 Bit

Dean Pickersgill wrote:

> I noticed on your GCC 'successful build' page that someone's done it
> on an HPUX11 64 Bit machine.  I'd love to know how.  I've been
> trying for 3 days now, installing bits of software here and there,
> everytime a part of the process fails and I find I need to install
> something ELSE to make it compile ...

I've had little trouble building many varieties of GCC on a 32-bit HP
machine. (If you're willing to trust the bootstrap compare you can even
do it with the system assembler for 32-bit at least.) The *really
important bit* is that you need GNU make: HP make will attempt to
regenerate many different files that it doesn't need to, and that's
where you get many dependencies on other pieces of software such as
bison.

> The docs included with GCC don't mention the need for binutils

Yes they do - see the 'host / target specific installation notes'.

> Sensible software vendors discovered long ago that it's no big deal
> issuing pre-compiled applications, are you likely to follow their
> lead?

Type 'gcc' into the search box on http://www.hp.com. They provide both
native 32- and 64-bit compiler binaries for HPUX 11 and 11i.

There's also a 'Binaries' link on the main GCC page where you'll find
the 'Software Porting And Archive Centre for HP-UX' but I think they
only have a 32-bit binary.

Rup.