Re: More code removal, mips ecoff support

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 03:59:36PM -0800, mike stump wrote:
> > From: Eric Christopher <echristo@redhat.com>
> > To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
> > Date: 06 Dec 2001 15:14:32 -0800
>
> > I'm looking at current OSs that support ecoff on mips or any objections
> > to removing the ecoff support from the backend. Anyone?
>
> It might be interesting to to contemplate annoucing the desupporting
> of all non-elf system, and removing all non-elf code.  Before that
> could be done, we'd need to run a user survey for months and months to
> collect user opinion.  This would help consolidate everyone towards
> elf, if they had been dragging their feet.
>
> The theory would be, generate elf everywhere, and if the end user OMF
> is different in the end, have them objcopy (extending objcopy as
> necessary) from elf to the format they want.
>
> A limitation would be, things like link once sections and a.out.  You
> would have to objcopy fully resolved non-relocatable files to be a.out
> files, one, in general could not just copy a single .o elf file, to a
> single .o a.out file.  Also, binutils doesn't always copy relocs
> correctly, thus, it would either have to be fixed, or again, one would
> have to copy fully linked files.

Isn't linux booting from ecoff image on mips (at least when loading
kernel from network)? Will it be still possible?

--
: Michal ``,/\/\,       '' Moskal    | |            : GCS {C,UL}++++$
:          |    |alekith      @    |)|(| . org . pl : {E--, W, w-,M}-