Re: Target-specific Front-Ends? (Was: front end changes for

 >> Consider a preprocessor that takes current Altivec C code and produces
 >> either standard or extended C code (GNU extensions).  If adopting the
 >> existing Altivec syntax is too painful, a second choice might be to figure
 >> out syntax choices that would make such a preprocessor very easy to write.
 >> Then we don't have to ask existing users to rewrite their code.

 > Yup, I thought about this too.  It's plausible, but a pretty substantial
 > effort, and not easy to do robustly with the tools we've got.

I've actually thought about implementing generic front end extension
support to gcc for this kind of nonsense.  Sort of like a preprocessor
that runs after the actual C preprocessor-- massages the output in any
way it sees fit, and feeds its output to the lexical analyzer.

This way if someone wants to implement some brain dead front end
extension widely used somewhere else, it could be a plugin-- and we
could offer a whole slew of plugins in the future (altivec plugins,
msoft inline assembly plugin, etc etc).

That sounds like a good project :)

what do y'all think?