Re: Target-specific Front-Ends? (Was: front end changes for altivec)

On Tuesday, November 27, 2001, at 05:36 , Per Bothner wrote:

> Ziemowit Laski wrote:
>
>> No! :) The features were are talking about here are TARGET-SPECIFIC
>> and hence need not
>> be any more portable, well-defined, documented, etc., than the machine
>> descriptions
>> for those targets.
>
> Why would we want to put into our compiler a TARGET-SPECIFIC syntactic
> extension to handle the rather generic concept of a fixed-size vector?
> And why
> would we want to add a configure mechanism to do that?

Two words: LEGACY CODE.

> Let me answer for you:  We don't.
>
> What we want is a *generic* machine-independent syntax, with optional

If we were designing AltiVec syntax today, I would absolutely agree.
But we're
not.  We have a bunch of code, supported by a bunch of compilers
(including
Apple's gcc-2.95.2).  Yes, it's ugly, but it's out there in the real
world.

> no problem.  Feel free to maintain your own tree with whatever
> extensions
> you want - it's Free Software.  But I will vote against any suggestion

Well, we do have a local tree, and it is a royal pain to maintain in sync
with the FSF, as Stan can attest. :)  In making my proposal, I assumed
(perhaps wrongly) that a lot of other organizations are in the same
boat --
i.e., they have local modifications that they wouldn't mind putting into
the FSF, but can't because GCC is not sufficiently modular (at least not
for the front-end things) and the local things can't be kept sufficiently
target-specific (hence interfering with the mainline).

--Zem
Ziemowit Laski                   Apple Computer, Inc.
zlaski@apple.com                 2 Infinite Loop, MS 302-4SN
+1.408.974.6229  Fax .1344       Cupertino, CA  95014-2085