Re: Target-specific Front-Ends? (Was: front end changes for altivec)

On Tuesday, November 27, 2001, at 11:16 , Per Bothner wrote:

> Ira Ruben wrote:
>
>> At 9:47 AM -0800 11/27/01, Stan Shebs wrote:
>>
>> I'm not going to get into a debate with you about design decisions of
>> the past when you weren't there and don't know the context in which
>> those were made.  It may be your opinion about how "hard" it is to
>> support "vector" this way.
>
> You're missing the point, which is not how easy or hard it is to
> implement
> the feature.  The hard part is coming up with an acceptable,
> well-defined,
> documented, portable feature that makes sense in the context of gcc,
> that can be maintained, and that you can get the gcc maintainers to
> agree to.

No! :) The features were are talking about here are TARGET-SPECIFIC and
hence need not
be any more portable, well-defined, documented, etc., than the machine
descriptions
for those targets.  The people concerned with AltiVec keywords will be,
for the most
part, the same group that is concerned with the contents of
gcc/config/rs6000/rs6000.md.

The idea here is to find a way in which people NOT concerned with
AltiVec do not ever have
to lay their eyes on an AltiVec keyword (just as they don't have to look
at rs6000.md).
This is the essence of my proposal.

--Zem
Ziemowit Laski                   Apple Computer, Inc.
zlaski@apple.com                 2 Infinite Loop, MS 302-4SN
+1.408.974.6229  Fax .1344       Cupertino, CA  95014-2085