Re: Building unique object files and binaries

"Ian S. Nelson" wrote:

> I'm sure this has been discussed before but is there a patch or any
> desire to modify gcc to add timestamping and some sort of unique
> identifier to each object file output (or maybe this is a binutils
> thing) so that they are all different and unique for the purpose of
> identification?
>
> I didn't see anything in the docs that makes me think it exists already.

Perhaps it would make sense to add the optional timestamp in the
.comment section (where GCC writes the '.GCC (GNU) 3.0.2'). I agree with
Geoff that this is not a desirable feature in most cases, but it should
be trivial to add -ftimestamp option to gcc.

greets from Zürich
-- vbi