Re: gcc executable for different OS revisions

[Get raw message]
> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 08:24:15 +0100
> From: Uros Bizjak <bizjak@rd.iskraemeco.si>
> To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org

>   No, it looks there was some misunderstanding. I don't want to have
> a single gcc binary for all OS revisions. I would like to have gcc
> binary installed the way g++ is installed. g++ binary is installed
> as sparc-sun-solaris2.8-g++ when it is compiled and installed on
> solaris2.8 and as sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1-g++ when it is installed
> from solaris2.5.1. So there is no problem installing it to shared
> /usr/local/ directory structure.

Ok, then what you want to do is compile everything up on the oldest
sun box you have, and say --host=sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1
--target=sparc-sun-solaris2.8 and compile up cross compilers for all
the systems except the oldest, the oldest one will be a standard
native compiler.  But sure to use --with-headers and --with-libs
during configure with the headers and libs for the cross systems.

>   Unfortunatelly, installation of gcc will overwrite any file named
> 'gcc' already present in /usr/local/bin. So if I previously
> installed gcc for solaris2.5.1, then solaris2.8 installation will
> overwrite gcc binary with solaris2.8 version.

Normally, I'd just configure with --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-3.0.1-sol251
--prefix=/usr/local/gcc-3.0.1-sol26
--prefix=/usr/local/gcc-3.0.1-sol28 and so on, and then add the
approprate one to the path, or forward from /usr/local/sol251/bin/gcc
to /usr/local/gcc-3.0.1-sol251/bin/gcc.