This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Help please?
- To: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Subject: Re: Help please?
- From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci <fwyzard at inwind dot it>
- Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 15:18:08 +0100
At 12.46 13/11/01 (GMT +0200), you wrote:
>Hi
>
>Excuse me if this is dumb or stupid. I need gcc 3.0 to get another program
>to work and I've got RedHat 7.1 with gcc 2.96. I've downloaded
>gcc-3.0.2.tar and installed it in /usr/local/sbin. When I run "rpm -q gcc"
>it still reports the old version. Do I have to uninstall the old version
>or do I install the new one over it ie. in the same directory. In other
>words where do I install the new version.
>
>I'm new to this Linux, compile etc. thing
>
>Thanks
Hi
The RPM database (which holds a list of all the packages you have
installed, and their dependencies) knows nothing of software you "manually"
compile and install.
So, the simplest thing to do would be to leave the RPM packege as it is,
and compile the 3.0.2 sources and install them in, eg., /urc/local. By the
way, I think this is the default behaviour for the gcc configure script.
Anyway, if you don't mind sticking to 3.0.1 instead of 3.0.2, you can
download the RedHat RPMs for it: just searh for gcc3 on fr2.rpmfind.net.
I think the relevant packages are:
gcc3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
gcc3-c++-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
gcc3-g77-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
gcc3-java-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
gcc3-objc-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
libgcc-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
libgcj3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
libgcj3-devel-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
libstdc++3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
libstdc++3-devel-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
You can't uninstall gcc 2.96, as the RedHat 3.0.1 RPMs require some 2.96
libraries.
Hope this helps,
fwyzard