Re: Patch to make generated manpages use GFDL (fwd)

In article <200111080306.TAA11584@atrus.synopsys.com> you write:
>Why not coordinate this with distributors of systems that use gcc as
>the system compiler, eg Debian and BSD?  After all, they'll wind up
>repackaging whatever we do anyway, may as well do it in a way they might
>accept.

Add a configure argument to select the section and disable the manpage
building/installation.

Then, in an integrated setup, it becomes easy to select THE component whose
manpages we want to install to get gpl/lgpl stuff.

Besides that, as far as packages go, all gpl/lgpl manpage stuff is going
In my experience, too smart setups have always, always been a loss. I end
up having to work around them in at least some cases. Whereas plain old
switches always work.

In some integrated setups, having multiple variant files with the same name
will be a complete loss. And going down to the pain of packaging those few
manpages separately isn't appealing as well... In the end, we'll probably
choose a  nice basic package to hold those manpages if we put them there at
all (actually, they might end up in the base system, which makes things
simpler).