-lgcc_s not found (was Re: Antwort: Re: g++301 on sol8: how to link to some static and some dynamic links)

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 09:35:54AM +0100, Bruno.Voigt@ic3s.de wrote:
> Hello Phil, thanks for your link.
> Now I changed the g++ link call and pass "-Xlinker -Bstatic -lstdc++ -lc
> -lnsl -lsocket -Xlinker -Bdynamic (some oracle .so)"
> and got a more gcc related problem: "ld: fatal: library -lgcc_s: not found"
> But I did not specify "-lgcc_s" and I have seen  that there is only a
> libgcc_s.so which I do not want,
> all gcc stuff should be static and only the oracle stuff dynamically
> linked.
> So I do not fully understand what is going on, why this is the expected
> behaviour..?

As for the "not found" problem, you might want to search the GCC mailing
list archives.  I have seen that problem report before but don't recall
the problem, the solution, nor the workaround offhand.

As for needing libgcc_s.so in the first place... some libraries will only
work dynamically.  If you need libgcc_s at all (and the linker seems
to think that you do), then you will have to link to it dynamically.
There are other libraries on Solaris that work the same way (libdl and
libc_psr for instance).

I am not an expert on the libgcc_s issues.  Hopefully others on this list
will take this opportunity to fill in what I've left out.

Phil