Re: Idea, and obstacle.

    > Someone had the idea of making FOO.gnu.org an alias for
    > www.gnu.org/software/FOO, for each GNU package FOO.  It seems like a
    > very convenient idea [...]

    Excellent!  (Though I admit I'm biased because I suggested this as well,
    last week or so. ;-) )

I got the suggestion from Brad--maybe it originally came from you.
Please forgive me for not knowing.

    > We could make an exception and leave gcc.gnu.org untouched, as it is
    > now.  That is not hard to do, and it would almost work, but not
    > entirely--because the pages on gcc.gnu.org are not in the same style
    > as the www.gnu.org pages, and don't have the same links, etc.
    >
    > Is there any way to win?

    1. We could leave gcc.gnu.org untouched (at least for now) and address the
    style issues, incrementally?

If people are willing to do this, it certainly won't be terribly hard
work, and it will solve the problem.

    2. In general, I recommend to use DNS more fine-grained than we currently
    do, by having cvs.gcc.gnu.org, mail.gcc.gnu.org, gnats.gcc.gnu.org, and
    so forth; similarily for other projects.

We don't want to have mail.FOO.gnu.org because we want our lists to be
@gnu.org, but other names such as cvs.FOO.gnu.org and
gnats.FOO.gnu.org might be a reasonable idea.  I will pass this
suggestion to the savannah people.

Joseph Myers wrote:

    It should also be possible to arrange for requests to a gcc.gnu.org IP
    address to be routed to different machines depending on the requested
    port.

If this is affirmed to be a workable solution, it could be ok.