A question

Hi to all,
I want to upgrade my Linux from RedHat 6.0 to RedHat 7.1 but I have a
problem in finding suitable gcc version.
I had no problem with gcc (egcs) version 2.91.66 to compile the kernel but
it ignores some warnings and programming mistakes (for example defining a
function without return value definition). The gcc with Redhat 7.1 (version
2.96) shows more errors and warnings but in kernel Change documentation
advised that kernel is not compiled with this version of gcc (2.96).
In this way I am confused about selecting a stable and good version of gcc.
I will be very appreciated if some one help me.
=======
Regards
Hossein Pourreza