Re: spelling

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 dewar@gnat.com wrote:

> Note that -ize is also preferred by the OED (which in fact does not permit
> the ise form, although it is in common use in England, and for sure would

The OED's business is not to "permit" anything, but to describe language
as it is used/understood/perceived (and the quotations tend to use both
spellings, without discriminating them as separate words).

OED Online has a FAQ entry "Why can't I find the entry for ORGANISE?"
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/Technicalities/faq.htm but I don't know
whether it is accessible to non-subscribers).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk