Re: Ada files now checked in

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Kevin Handy wrote:

> Is this ADA discussion about bootstraping going to be duplicated when
> the pascal front-end is checked in (is it written in pascal)?
> If so, a more general approach may be needed to simplify bringing
> everything up on a new machine.

The Pascal front end is written in C.  The Modula-2 front end is written
in Modula-2 but includes a bootstrap procedure.  The Modula-3 front end is
written in Modula-3, but I don't know that anyone has any hope of
resolving the copyright and licensing issues to get it included in GCC
anyway.  The Mercury front end is written in Mercury (but can generate C
from Mercury; and I think only a few small parts of it were intended to go
in the GCC CVS).  I think the Fortran 95 front end is written in C.  The
COBOL front end web pages indicate an intention for most of that front end
to be written in COBOL.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk