Re: Ada files now checked in

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Zack Weinberg wrote:

  You are assuming that the GCC driver with Ada support can handle C,
  which is not necessarily the case.  As it happens, the one on my
  system does include a cc1 - but it's 2.8.1-based, and therefore does
  not work with glibc 2.2.x, so it might as well not exist.

So, you're saying that GCC can be bootstrapped with about any compiler,
but not with a somewhat older version of itself?

  Turn it around: The changes I made to ada/Makefile.in are
  straightforward and obvious, and they make the build work out-of-box
  for a large category of users that would otherwise have to go to
  considerable extra trouble.  Why do you object so strenuously?

I don't object strenuously, but I have never ran into problems starting
out with GCC 2.8.1 and I have build GNAT on dozens of different platforms.
Anyway, I don't feel strongly at all about this issue, but I'd like
to try it out first and see how it works for me before commenting on
it any more.

  -Geert