Re: Ada files now checked in

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Zack Weinberg wrote:
  Why do you have this policy?  It seems liable to cause nothing but
  trouble.  I'm even a bit surprised it should be necessary given that
  there don't seem to be much in the way of language extensions in GNAT;
  I would think you could write conforming Ada95 and have no trouble.
  Or is the issue bugs in earlier revisions?

There are various reasons for this. Most of the issues are in the run time,
where in the end one must be sure that the implementation of high-level
features does not itself rely on those features. In some places, we have
decided to add GNAT-specific attributes (which is allowed by the Ada standard)
that we mostly use for implementing the Ada run time using Ada. For examples
of this, see the system.ads file.

For these and other reasons it is impractical to implement the compiler
and run time in 100% standard Ada. We always have guaranteed that every
version of the compiler can be built with the previous released public
version, and in practice this policy never has been a problem.

Regards,
  Geert