Re: dynamic PIC register?

Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com> writes:

|> On Sep 20, 2001, dalej@apple.com wrote:
|>
|> > On the Darwin powerpc target, it would be better not to have
|> > PIC_OFFSET_TABLE_REGNUM be a fixed register.
|>
|> I don't know anything about the implementation of shared libraries on
|> ppc, but if it uses a procedure linkage table, I don't see how the PIC
|> register may vary: the PLT in general depends on a specific register
|> pointing to the GOT (plus or minus some constant).

On the m68k the PLT does not depend on a PIC register at all (it gets the
address of the GOT by pc-relative addressing).  So it would benefit from a
non-fixed PIC register as well.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab                                  "And now for something
Andreas.Schwab@suse.de				completely different."