Re: dynamic PIC register?

On Sep 20, 2001, dalej@apple.com wrote:

> On the Darwin powerpc target, it would be better not to have
> PIC_OFFSET_TABLE_REGNUM be a fixed register.

I don't know anything about the implementation of shared libraries on
ppc, but if it uses a procedure linkage table, I don't see how the PIC
register may vary: the PLT in general depends on a specific register
pointing to the GOT (plus or minus some constant).  It would be nice
to be able to have the fixed register used only in these cases,
though, and leave it up to the register allocator to take care of
cases that don't involve the PLT, such as GOT loads.

But maybe none of this applies to PowerPC.