Re: gnu under windows

----- Original Message -----
From: "Janis Johnson" <janis187@us.ibm.com>
To: <gcc@gnu.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 10:34 AM
Subject: Re: gnu under windows

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 09:58:55AM -0700, Thomas Pollinger
wrote:

> > >Hi everyone:
> > >
> > >Some one of you know where I can found the gnu compiler for
C ready to be
> > >compiled under
> > >windows ?
> > >Thanks in advance.
> > >David.
> > >

> > You can install cygwin: http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin.
> > It comes with gcc and some other goodies you are used to from
a Unix
> > environment:)
> >
> > -Thomas
>
> The platform-specific installation instructions include the
following
> under "Microsoft Windows":
>
>   Microsoft Windows (32 bit)
>
>   A port of GCC 2.95.x is included with the Cygwin environment.
>
>   Current (as of early 2001) snapshots of GCC will build under
Cygwin
>   without modification.
>
> Can someone please update this for GCC 3.0?  There are a couple
of
> entries for Cygwin in the 3.0 build status list.
>
> Janis

I doubt that anyone has tested all cygwin modifications to
gcc-3.x.  I believe that the standard parts of gcc-3.0 (excluding
java) build "out-of-the box"  for those who know the configure
incantations, but I am not willing to live with the performance
problems.  I use gcc-3.1 regularly with cygwin, but I don't
depend on all the extras, nor do I wrestle with daily breakages.