Why not a label for .debug_frame?

I've been looking into adopting Dwarf 2 for Darwin / Mac OS X, and
as part of that, tried enabling -gdwarf-2 in GCC's Darwin port.

However, I have a problem where the name of the section .debug_frame
is used as a symbol (a "section symbol"), which is an ELFism not
supported by the Mach-O assembler.  I'm a little loath to change
the assembler to create section symbols, and have been looking at
how the .debug_frame symbol is used.  In the process I noticed that
other sections such as .debug_info and .debug_abbrev have labels
generated for them, and subsequent code refers to those labels
rather than the sections.  (To help jog memories, the patch was
from Robert Lipe for SVR5, and may be seen at
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/1999-02n/msg00802.html.)

So my question is, why isn't .debug_frame handled this way too?
Inertia perhaps?

Stan