Re: make dist (?) and changing version numbers

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Phil Edwards wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 11:04:12AM +0100, David Vrabel wrote:
> > How can I change the version number (from 3.0 to 3.0-xzzyx)?  I looked in
> > configure.in and Makefile.in but neither seemed to have it.
>
> Look in maintainer-scripts.  The update_version script shows where this
> is changed.

Err. And I can find this where?

> > How do I build a bunch of source tarballs for distribution? make dist
>
> I don't believe make dist is used for GCC.  (The GCC build structure predates
> a lot of what we think of as common practice.)  Right now there's a bunch
> of release scripts on the gcc.gnu.org machine, but I don't think they're
> in CVS... ?

Do you have any suggestions on the best way to make a source dist?  I
guess I could do a make clean and just tar the whole thing up. But I would
like a proper dist (ie with all the install docs etc. built and in the
right place).

David Vrabel