GCC depending on perl?

Hello,

I've noticed several recent changes to GCC have effectively added a
dependency on PERL.  Well, to be exact, it looks like configure probes
for perl and certain features and then adjusts the build accordingly.

This just strikes me as strange since PERL isn't listed in the tools
that can be used in a Makefile.
http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_52.html.
I'd have only expected such a dependency to be added when something like
--enable-maintainer-mode was explicitly specified as part of the
configuration.

enjoy,
Andrew