Re: GCC

> Hi,
>  I want to know on what kind of architectures gcc will
> run. Is there any limitat
> ion on the no of registers (eg. m68hc11 uses soft
> registers) and addressing
> modes.Suppose is it possible to port GCC for an

That's basically only limited by the size of long integers / pointers
on your host system.  I.e. for all practical purposes it's unlimited.

> architecture like 8051,
> where there is no indexed addressing mode. I do n't
> know 8051's architecture,
> but I want to know for my research interest.

The lack of an indexed addressing mode is no problem, as long as there
is a register indirect addressing mode.  However, you might run into
problems if there are too few registers for reload - which you can work
around by pretending some memory / stack locations are registers, and/or
defining multi-insn patterns that implement addressing modes not directly
supported by the hardware.
Lack of a proper stack would be a more serious problem, as are separate
address spaces.  You can still get some functionality with these
idiosyncracies, but it makes the port harder to implement and the
large parts of the testsuite won't run.