Re: empowering the steering committee (was Re: patch tracking)

Tom Lord writes:
> Putting on my Politics of Free Software Gadfly hat....
>
>        The biggest problem facing GCC seems to be that patches aren't
>        getting reviewed.  I think it's a process problem;
>
> I think that's right, and that Joe's suggestion of implementing patch
> tracking and hierarchical patch acceptance is a step in the right
> direction.  The ensuing discussion seems to be evolving in positive
> directions.

> Score one for the steering committee process.

Please note that I'm making the suggestion as an individual contributor,
and am not using my SC position to try to ram it down anyone's throat.
(Besides, the SC tries hard to do things by consensus; when we have
votes they are often unanimous).

> Here's a hard problem: Maybe the committee should have an independent
> budget...

The SC isn't a legal entity so it can't officially hire someone, and SC
members are all busy with other work.  If resources were available, the
FSF could hire someone, or a company could pay someone's salary and donate
part of his/her labor.  But companies like CodeSourcery, Red Hat and
others are doing that to some degree.