MAINTAINERS policy question

I have a question about how the MAINTAINERS file should be interpreted.
Suppose you have somebody listed as maintaining port X.  Does this grant
the right to check in any patch for a problem that affects port X, or
does it only grant the right to modify config/X/*?

I've had someone claim in private mail that it means the former, and
this surprised me, since I always assumed it meant the latter.

Bernd