Re: GCC and LSB

> Hi, I am wondering when the GCC compiler will be made to compile to the
> linux standard base for programs and such..

Oh, we're so lucky RMS doesn't read this list. :-)

GCC is a GNU program, not a Linux program.  It runs on many platforms.
It's up to distribution packagers to make the adjustments needed to
get the installation to correspond to local standards such as the LSB.

As for gcc installing in /usr/local by default: it's a feature.  If
it defaulted to /usr/bin, we'd have rookie developers blowing away
their system compiler all the time.  It's not hard to build it right
by setting the --prefix option.