Re: Getting rid of -g

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
> Hmm... I'd suggest you add code to libiberty's aclocal.m4, which
> initializes a new autoconf variable ac_libiberty_debuginfo_cflags
> depending on whether the compiler is capable of generating proper
> code and debugging info or not; this doesn't necessarily mean that
> you have to actually compile code at configure time, but you can
> define its value based on some host specific libiberty/config/*
> file with a default of '-g' instead. This code should be added to the
> definition of the LIB_AC_PROG_CC function in a similar fashion as
> we are already doing for ac_libiberty_warn_cflags. libiberty's
> Makefile.in can then use this in the definition of COMPILE.c

Hmm, that will only work if libiberty's makefile doesn't use LIBCFLAGS
passed from the top level at all. I'm not sure if that's a good idea.
Maybe I should simply define a new variable, e.g. LIBIBERTYCFLAGS, in
libiberty's makefile, set it to LIBCFLAGS and use it in COMPILE.c instead
of LIBCFLAGS? This way, top-level LIBCFLAGS will still be used by default
but it will be possible to override it locally.

Bye

Roman