Re: Line number notes revamp?

Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 04:48:53PM -0400, Daniel Berlin wrote:
> > I did this, and it puts the RTX's into the next bucket.
>
> As opposed to allocating
>
> 	(EXPR_LIST:REG_LINENO (const_int 10101))
>
> for every instruction?
I didn't say we *shouldn't*, just that it pushed them into the next
bucket.
But on the other side, we only need notes we want to have line numbers on.
This isn't necessarily every instruction.
You could also probably find a way to share the notes, so for a given
line number, they are only allocated once.
However, i don't think the advantage is large enough to warrant doing
it, as opposed to the simplicity just putting them in the INSN's gives
you.

>  Further, we can add any random bucket size
> we like.
Given.

>> You need column number as well.
>
> No I don't.  We don't have one now.  Further, I thought Niel was
> talking about hashing file+line+column together into a single
> number.
But having a single number is not done now, nor is it near the top of
Neil's priority list,
I would imagine.
Changing the line numbers to be embedded in RTL is actually pretty trivial.
I have a patch to do it already, from the last time i suggested we
move them into the RTL.
However, it added a column number and file number to the RTL as well,
since this one magic number does not exist right now.

--
"Ever notice how irons have a setting for *permanent* press?  I
don't get it...