Re: [jakub@redhat.com: Re: 2.95.4, sparc64 issues ?]

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 06:45:28PM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 04:58:55PM +0100, Bernd Schmidt wrote:
> > Well, a justification of "Seems to allow libstdc++ to at least compile"
> > doesn't make me confident that there has been much thought put into issues
> > like, "will it actually work", or "could it be harmful on other targets".
> > That makes it unacceptable for a stable branch.
>
> The `could it be harmful on other targets' part is OBVIOUS.
> I mean, adding a test to handle some unhandled case RIGHT IN FRONT OF AN
> abort() is a complete NO-BRAINER.
>
> As for the rest, yep, I think I want discussion about that.
>
> Specifically, if we need some other sparc64 patch, what is that sub-reg
> patch. Where can I get a version that does more or less apply to 2.95.3 ?

There is no SUBREG_BYTE patch which would apply to 2.95.x. Plus this patch
touches almost all files in gcc, so backporting would not be easy.

As stated, it was not part of any compiler released by FSF.
The tested configurations are gcc-2.96-RH, there is a patch floating around
for 3.0 and finally it was commited into trunk after 3.0 was branched off.

	Jakub